Located in an acre of fenced-in private garden complete with a birch wooded area and pond stocked with rainbow trout, the cottage has been sympathetically renovated and refurbished under the strict guidance of Historic Scotland to the highest standard. Not only has every effort been made to provide comfortable and luxurious accommodation but also to provide a totally unique experience of living in an original 19th century cottage with all its original features retained and restored. Box bed, flag floors, exposed beams, limewashed walls and most importantly, from a historical point of view, a wonderful example of a wooden “hingin lum” are all retained and restored. The cottage has, however, been catapulted through time not only with the installation of “the electric light” (a first for Downies) and indoor plumbing (also a first for Downies), but with ground source underfloor heating, a fully equipped kitchen, and with the more intrusive ultra modern shower, TV and internet discreetly hidden away behind 18th century oak panelling.
Outside is an idyllic seating area with petrified teak root table and chairs, a fire pit and a wooden hot tub from where guests can enjoy splendid views over the Tomintoul parks to Braemar below. Or alternatively enjoy a seat by the pond and watch the trout rising.
With space being of a premium within this historic building, the steading not only has an additional large American style fridge freezer, a washing machine and tumble dryer, but there is a Nordic sauna room ideal for soothing those aching muscles after a day on the hills!
Availability & Booking for Downie's Cottage
Inside Downie's Cottage
- Hand built oak kitchen with cooker, fridge, dishwasher and larder cupboard
- Wood burning stove, dining table and chairs, comfy leather reclining chairs, snug seating area in original box bed, internet TV, flagstone floors and exposed beams
- King sized brass bed with memory foam mattress, hanging and drawer space, wooden flooring and exposed beams
- Hand crafted wooden bath tub, shower, wc, wash hand basin, heated towel rail
- Flag floor, coat hanging space
- There is ground source underfloor heating throughout the building with addition electric fan and heated towel rail in bathroom and wood burning stove in sitting room
- WiFi throughout cottage
- Washing machine dryer, large American style fridge freezer, sink, drying pulley, underfloor heating
- Ground source heat pump
- 1 acre of enclosed mixed grassland and birch woods with trout pond
- Dry stone dyked area with wooden hot tub, teak root table and chairs, fire pit
Access to the cottage is by 0.5 miles of unmade track more suited to 4 wheel drives with good clearance. There is a 4x4 available for guests (over the age of 30) to use going up and down the track if needed - please let us know.